My Blog List

Always, Always Reading Books, Recipes, and Life Kitschy Witch The Herb Gardener

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Toy Story Time!

I did this story time twice. Once for a Pre-K and K class from Martin Luther King Jr., Elementary School and once for our regular preschool story time at the branch. The children loved it!

The first book that I read, I don't like Koala, by Sean Ferrell is a fun and interactive story that invites a lot of participation. Adam receives a stuffed Koala bear, but he does not like him at all! Koala is the most terrible terrible with terrible yellow eyes! His eyes follow Adam everywhere he goes. Adam tries to get rid of Koala by putting him in a pot, stuffing him in a purse, and dumping him in the laundry hamper, and by other means. I asked the children where Adam put Koala. They loved to give me the answers! Adam leaves Koala in the woods one day to get rid of him, but when he comes back home, Koala is there waiting for him! Which is sort of creepy when you think about it, but this is a children's story, not a novel by Steven King. At the end of the story, Koala protects Adam from the monster in his bedroom and they become friends. But Adam's father turns to Adam's mother and says, "I don't like Koala."

The second book that I read, Sleep Tight, Anna Banana!, by Dominique Roques is a funny and charming story about a little girl who keeps on reading when she is supposed to go to bed. She keeps her stuffed animals up but all they want to do is go to sleep. When she tries to go to sleep, they keep her up by making music, bouncing on the bed, and running races around the bed. I asked the children what the stuffed animals did to keep Anna awake and they had fun telling me the answers. At the end of the story, Anna and her stuffed animals reach an understanding and everybody goes to sleep.

The third and last book that I read, I Must Have Bobo!, by Eileen Rosenthal is the story of a little boy named Willie and his search for his sock monkey, Bobo. Earl, the cat, is constantly taking Bobo and hiding him in places. The children had a lot of fun telling me the places where Earl hid Bobo. Some of the children had a hard time connecting the cat with his name, Earl, so in the future, I'll probably just ask, "Where did the cat take Bobo?" or "Where did Earl take Bobo?"

No comments:

Post a Comment