My Blog List

Always, Always Reading Books, Recipes, and Life Kitschy Witch The Herb Gardener

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

City Story Time!

I decided to use the theme of cities for my story time. The first book that I read was Tap Tap Boom Boom by Elizabeth Bluemle. This book tells the story of people caught in a thunderstorm in the city. They use the subway as a refuge and a place to stay until the storm stops. Elizabeth mentions that, "The storm above makes friends of strangers. We laugh undercover at thunder and danger." The book ends with the sun coming back out and the display of a beautiful rainbow! This book is a wonderful interaction book! Together, the children and I tapped and boomed. They really got into it!

The second book that I read was City Shapes by Diana Murray. This also an amazing interaction book. The book introduces the concepts of shapes through objects that are commonly found in the city. For example, the stacks of brown packages are squares. The children had a fun time guessing the shapes, although they found some shapes to be difficult to identify, such as ovals and diamonds.
The third and final book that I read was Count on the Subway by Paul Dubois Jacobs and Jennifer Swender. This is also a very interactive book where the children and I counted the turnstiles, singers, empty seats, cars, etc. Unfortunately some children could not see the book. Probably because there were 47 children! This book might best be suited for a smaller story time crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment