My Blog List

Always, Always Reading Books, Recipes, and Life Kitschy Witch The Herb Gardener

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Nimona

This is the second book that I read for the At Odds section for Books for the Beast. I wasn't sure if I would like it because I usually don't read graphic novels, but I liked it and enjoyed it.

The story features a hero, Sir Goldenloin, and a villain, Lord Blackheart, but as the story progresses the villain looks more like the hero and vice versa. Sir Goldenloin is employed by the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics. Lord Blackheart had his arm cut off by Sir Goldenloin in a joust. Later in the story, Lord Blackheart tells Sir Goldenloin, "What if I cut off your arm right now? Then you'd see how fast the institution would cast you aside. Just like they did me." Sir Goldenloin tells Lord Blackheart, "You wouldn't." Lord Blackheart responds with, "No, I wouldn't. And I'm the villain. What do you suppose that says about you?"

Enter Nimona! She's a young girl with bright red hair and announces to Lord Blackheart that she is his sidekick and that the agency sent her. "That makes no sense, why would they send some kid to be my sidekick?" Lord Blackheart asks and then Nimona suddenly turns into a shark! She is a shapeshifter and that is what convinces Lord Blackheart to hire her.

Throughout the story she changes into a wide variety of shapes: dog, bird, cat, rhinoceros, elephant, monkey, boy, and dragon. She tells Lord Blackheart that a witch turned her into a shapeshifter. But at the end of the story, when she turns into a dragon that ravages the kingdom and kills the king, Lord Blackheart finally realizes that she may not be what she seems.

The illustrations in this story were fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment