My Blog List

Always, Always Reading Books, Recipes, and Life Kitschy Witch The Herb Gardener

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Emily and Einstein



What if you were a selfish manipulative jerk who died suddenly in a car accident? And when you met the angel of death realized that you weren't going to your heavenly reward? This is what happens to Sandy Portman. He begs for another chance and then ...

"Hello?" I called out, hoping the old man was nearby and could hop to and answer some questions. "Anyone there?"
A strangled series of barks echoed against the walls beyond the cage.
Panic ripped through me and I tried to sit up. But I couldn't move. I had no strength.
I groaned, which brought back the low howling sound. Was there a dog close by?
"Hello!"
The howl yelped into the space and I went very still, realizing that the sound was vibrating in my chest.
Panic surged, blood pumping through me, bringing adrenaline with it, and I was able to raise my head. That's when I saw the paws. White fur-covered paws attached to furry legs, traveling right up to the general vicinity of where I looked out.
(page 26, Emily and Einstein, Linda Francis Lee).

Yes, Sandy has turned into a dog. And not just any dog. He's a mangy stray. And he gets adopted by the wife he was unfaithful to.

This is a great story, fun, sweet, a little bit sad, sentimental, but not overly so. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment