My Blog List

Always, Always Reading Books, Recipes, and Life Kitschy Witch The Herb Gardener

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Colors Story Time

For my colors story time, the first book that I read was Bear Sees Colors by Karma Wilson. I love the Bear series by Karma Wilson and this book did not disappoint! As Bear walks through the woods and greets his friends, he spots the following colors: blue, red, yellow, green, and brown. When I got to the page where a certain color was featured, I asked the children to tell me what color it was. The children loved participating!

My only regret is that the group was too big (25) to point out some of the smaller items on each page and ask the children to identify the color. For example, the blue flowers and blue berries, the red raspberries, birds, flowers, and mushrooms, the yellow flowers, bees, and apples, and the green apples and frog. I think if I had a smaller group (10) pointing out these items and asking the children what colors they are would really enhance the story time experience.

The next book that I read was Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. This is also a great interactive book. Each item in the book was featured in a color that it does not have. For example a lemon is not red, it is yellow. The items that are featured are cut out in a stencil pattern highlight. There were only two things that I didn't like about the book. Some carrots are purple and the moon is silver was too difficult for the kids to guess. I just read it as the moon is gray.

My story time children needed some extra time to "shake their sillies out", so I didn't read a third book. My two possible picks for the third book where Yellow Is My Color Star by Judy Horacek and The Parrot Song by Edouard Manceau.

Yellow Is My Color Star tells the story of a girl explaining that yellow is her favorite color. She mentions the other colors too and there is an illustrated page for each color. Throughout the book, she asks the reader, "Which color do you love the most?" and shows each color as jam that you could put on toast and the colors are illustrated via a queen's gown and crown, frogs, fish, and cars. This is also a good interactive story where you can ask the children what the colors are and also ask them to count the queens, frogs, fish, and cars.

The Parrot Song by Edouard Manceau has a simple catchy text that can also be sung as a song. Different colors are illustrated as rain drops, flowers, and parrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment